NYCC 2011: The Avengers
Posted by Mirjana on October 16, 2011
It’s been quite a week for fans of The Avengers, with the release of the official theatrical trailer and the movie’s appearance at New York Comic Con. Is there anyone left on the planet that isn’t looking forward to this movie?
It didn’t feel like it on Saturday night in the IGN Theater at Javits Convention Center – packed to the brim, extra seating had to be added to accommodate the demand. Arguably the most anticipated event of the entire Con (it certainly was for this girl), Marvel’s The Avengers panel was rowdy throughout, and felt a little bit like the Loki show.
Led by moderator Chris Hardwick, the panelists were as follows: Kevin Feige, Chris Evans (Captain America), Tom Hiddleston (Loki), Cobie Smulders (Maria Hill), Clark Gregg (Agent Coulson), and surprise guest Mark Ruffalo (The Incredible Hulk). Here are some highlights from the panel:
- Tom Hiddleston says that even though Loki is a god, he’s still human in a way – he’s got daddy issues;
- While Chris Evans loves working in the Captain America suit, he really enjoyed the days when he got to shoot in normal clothes;
- Chris Hardwick likened The Hulk to a raging erection – Mark Ruffalo was a big fan of the comparison;
- Mark wanted to pay homage to the great actors that played The Hulk before him, but at the same time he wanted to “Ruffalize” it (which apparently means dressing it in spotty grey pajamas);
- Due to the advances in technology since the last movie, Mark is the only actor who was able to play both Bruce Banner and The Hulk;
- Tom Hiddleston’s favorite female superhero is Loki’s own female alter ego – Sif;
- Clark Gregg says that his all-time favorite text message came from Chris Evans on a rare day when everyone was in town filming together – it simply said “Assemble.” Apparently the night that followed was quite rowdy;
- lots of love for Loki in the crowd – Tom Hiddleston is quite a popular man, getting the majority of the fan questions.