Nintendo’s Going Extra Large with New 3DS XL
Posted by Soulfinger on June 23, 2012
Following a slow start for its 3DS handheld when released last year with a lack of games and a high price tag resulting in well below than expected sales, a price drop just a few months after release and a growing games library has seen the global sales for the 3DS rocket. Nintendo have now increased the appeal of the 3DS with the announcement of the 3DS XL.
A big year for the Nintendo 3DS system is about to get even bigger. In a Nintendo Direct video on June 22nd, Nintendo revealed plans to launch Nintendo 3DS XL, a new version of Nintendo 3DS with 90% larger screens.
When it becomes available across Europe on July 28th, the new system will create even more immersive entertainment experiences for users, delivering a wealth of games and video content that can be enjoyed on the go. Nintendo 3DS XL features an updated form factor and will be available in Silver + Black, Red + Black and Blue + Black. The new system’s battery life outperforms that of the original Nintendo 3DS, and it comes bundled with a 4 GB SD Card, which owners can use to store content such as downloadable games and videos from Nintendo eShop.
No official price has been given but some online retailers have already started to list it at £179.99 in the UK and $199.99 in the US.
Here are the technical specification.
- 134mm × 74mm × vertical thickness horizontal 21mm (when folded)
- (Including the battery pack stylus SD memory card) 235g
- (Approximately 16.77 million colors viewable) widescreen LCD with integrated Autostereoscopic
- 240 dots vertical (horizontal) × 800 dots / (46.08mm vertical 76.8mm × horizontal) 3.53 type
- can be assigned respectively to 400 dot 800 dot the right eye-left eye (horizontal three-dimensional representation is possible)
- (Approximately 16.77 million colors viewable) LCD with touch input feature
- type 240 3.02 × 320 dots vertical dots next to / (46.08mm 61.44mm × vertical horizontal)
- Two cameras inside / outside
- Resolution (0.3 mega pixels) 640 × 480 both lenses: the number of effective pixels CMOS /:: imaging element / focal length of approximately 300,000 pixels
- 2.4GHz communications passing between the play and play Nintendo 3DS available
- via the wireless LAN access point can be connected to the Internet (supports IEEE802.11b / g Reinforcement (WPA / WPA2 ) security) within 30m distance recommended ambient communication (? may be shortened by circumstances)
- A / B / X / Y button, cross, L / R buttons, Start / Select button
- (Possible 360-degree analog input) Slide pad
- Built-in microphone
- Motion sensor
- Gyro sensor
Game card slot
- SD memory card slot
- AC adapter connection terminal
- Headphone connection terminal (stereo output)
- On the screen left and right stereo speakers (for surround pseudo-)
- (10cm when fully extended about) possible expansion and contraction
- If you want to play Nintendo software 3DS : about 3 hours to 6.5 hours
- if you want to play the Nintendo DS software: about 5 hours to 8 hours
- Battery life may vary depending on the brightness of the screen.