In 2006, the Geek Syndicate was born. And who came roaring out but a pair of crazy-yet-loveable geeks by the names David “Monts” Monteith and Barry “Nuge” Nugent. Producing a weekly podcast celebrating and commenting all aspects of geek life. It’s critically acclaimed, irreverent, touching, intellectual, nonsensical, fairly drunken, incredibly sexy, hilarious…er…and stuff. You can listen to GS being interviewed here.
Over the years, the Geek Syndicate team has expanded to become an international team with staff based in the US and UK. Everyone’s a hardcore geek and come from all walks of life. Real life? Ok so yes, we’ve all got “normie” jobs, but our inner geek will never be denied.
GS has the inside track on loads of geek-related things including articles on comics, games and tech, book, movie and tv reviews and the most important topic of all…booze! We go behind-the-scenes on the shows you’re obsessed with and interview your favorite actors, actresses and industry nerds. Throw in contests and giveaways – we’re taking over the geek world! You can see evidence of that below:
But to be frank (that’s not anyone’s name though), we’re first and foremost, fans. We get excited about the same things that all geeks get hyped about. We’re at comic conventions, midnight lineups and all the other nutty things we do for what we love – if we weren’t as passionate as our readers, then we honestly wouldn’t be here.
Trapped here after my family had to flee the evil tyranny of our home planet I have decided to pursue acting as a career until such a time as I am rescued by my loyal subjects.
- Favorite TV Show(s): Dr Who – (I liked it when it wasn’t cool)
- Favorite Movie(s): Never has a movie made me want to salute more than Star Wars
- Favorite Comic/Graphic Novel(s): The Question by Denny O’Neil – groundbreaking stuff
- Favorite Video Game(s): Deus Ex
- Favorite Band(s): The Duke Ellington Orchestra
- Favorite Comic Writer(s): Greg Rucka
- Favorite Comic Artist(s): John Cassaday/ Tommy Lee Edwards
- Favorite Quote: Piglet: What if this tree falls down? | Pooh: What if it doesn’t?
- Favorite Show That No Else Likes: LEXX
- Follow on Twitter | E-mail David
I’m bald so really it’s all about counting the days until I turn evil and take over the world. Mark my words heathen rabble I will rule this land or see it reduced to a pile of ashes so consider yourself warned …too much?
- Favorite TV Show(s): Tales of the Gold Monkey, Airwolf, Batman: The Animated Series, Hawaii Five O (New), Buffy, Angel, Supernatural, Heroes (S1), Criminal Minds, Spaced,White Collar, Ultraviolet, Community
- Favorite Movie(s): Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Empire Strikes Back, Hard Boiled, Blade,Unbreakable, Star Wars,The Matrix, X-men 2, Captain America, The Rockeeteer, The Shadow, Superman I and II, From Russia with Love
- Favorite Author(s): James Barclay, David Gemmell, Joe Abercrombie
- Favorite Comic/Graphic Novel(s): Planetary, Astonishing X Men, Ultimates Vol 1 & 2, All the Sherlock Holmes adaptations from Self Made Hero, Rainbow Orchid, Planet Hulk
- Favorite Video Game(s): Uncharted 1 & 2, Assassins Creed 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Red Dead Redemption, Halo, Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect 2, Knights of the Old Repulic, Battlefield bad Company 2, God of War 1, 2 & 3
- Best Geeky Memory: It was earlier this year when I got the chance to meet and interview Robert Watts the Producer on Raiders of the Lost Ark and listening to him talk about his on set experiences. That memory is going to stay with me for a long, long time.
- Best Geeky Discovery: Raiders of the Lost Ark (I know there’s a pattern forming), out simply I wouldn’t be here typing this list without that film. Also discovering Tintin and a battered copy of the ‘Thousand Headed Man’ in my local library which was a Doc Savage novel helped to cement my growing love of pulp adventure as a kid.
- Favorite Comic Writer(s): Warren Ellis
- Favorite Quote: “I dunno I’m making this up as I go.”
- Follow on Twitter | E-Mail Barry
I dread writing these bio things up. However! I shall buck up and do it just for you all – I’m sure you’re thrilled! I love to laugh (often loudly), cook (I won’t poison you I swear!), eat tasty nibbles, geek out over all sorts of TV and pop-culturey goodness with other geeks, write about it and take photographs while traveling all over the place. Exhausting isn’t it?
- Favorite TV Show(s): AbFab, Angel, Battlestar Galactica, Being Human (UK), Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Castle, Chuck, Dark Angel, Death Note, Doctor Who, Firefly, Game of Thrones, Heroes (S1), Lois & Clark, Merlin, Misfits, Once Upon A Time, Pushing Daisies, Revenge, Roswell, Sailor Moon, Sherlock, Supernatural, The Inbetweeners, Torchwood, True Blood, Veronica Mars, Xena
- Favorite Movie(s): Harry Potter series, The Mummy, The Joy Luck Club, The Princess Bride, Love Actually, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Once, Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, Rush Hour, X-Men, Batman Begins, Ever After, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Snatch, Once, The Commitments, Amelie, The Bourne Trilogy
- Favorite Video Game(s): Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario 3, MarioKart, LEGO: Harry Potter, Pacman
- Favorite Band(s): Keane, The Swell Season, Death Cab for Cutie, The Decemberists, Snow Patrol, The Cure, The Frames, Interpol, Franz Ferdinand, Broken Bells, The Killers, Kaiser Chiefs, Sons & Daughters, Paolo Nutini, Queen, The Beatles, The Smiths, Vampire Weekend, No Doubt, The Ting Tings, John Mayer, Michael Jackson, Hail Social, Lady Gaga, MGMT, Madonna, Damien Rice, The Cranberries, Nirvana, Shakira
- Best Geeky Memory/Encounter: It’s a tie between almost making Anthony Head choke on coffee with laughter and getting hugged by Linda Hamilton!
- Best Geeky Discovery: Finally discovering why everyone loves Doctor Who so much 10th Doctor all the way baby!
- Favorite Quote: ”I mock you with my monkeypants!” – Oz, BTVS
- Favorite Places to Travel: London, Hong Kong, Edinburgh, San Diego, Toronto…next up is Dublin, Barcelona and Tokyo!
- Follow on Twitter | E-Mail Sharlene
A true geek who is into films, TV, books, comics and gadgets. I love going to conventions and meeting other like minded folk. Still trying to convert my 2 lads into Geeks but not working very well. Curse that damn X-Box.
- Favorite TV Show(s): Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, The West Wing
- Favorite Movie(s): Star Wars, ST Wrath of Khan, Iron Man and Footloose!
- Favorite Author(s): Kevin J Anderson
- Favorite Comic/Graphic Novel(s): Secret Wars, Dark Knight Returns
- Favorite Video Game(s): Marvel Ultimate Alliance
- Favorite Band(s): Huey Lewis and the News, Sugarland, Rascal Flatts (oh yeah Country music rocks)
- Best Geeky Memory/Encounter: Drunken encounter with Steven Moffatt outside our chalet at SFX Weekender. Or that I was a Zombie extra in a movie.
- Best Geeky Discovery: That the best comic book movie is in fact Mallrats!
- Favorite Comic Writer(s): Mark Millar
- Favorite Comic Artist(s): Alex Ross
- Favorite Quote: ”No matter where you go, there you are” – Buckaroo Banzai
- Favorite Experience: SFX Weekender (both of them)
- Follow on Twitter | E-mail Christophe
I am a newly “out” geek, having made tons of geeky friends in the past couple of years. I attended my first two cons this year (SDCC & NYCC) and plan on attending many more. I am a sports fanatic – ice hockey and football (not the American sort) are my drugs of choice. Also love to travel, and plan on doing a lot more of that in the future.
- Favorite TV Show(s): Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Being Human (UK), Misfits, Game of Thrones, Torchwood (Series 1-2), Sons of Anarchy
- Favorite Movie(s): Lord of the Rings (Two Towers is my fave), all the Harry Potter movies, X-Men and X2 (thinking of adding First Class to the list), Star Wars (not the prequels), Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers/Avengers Assemble
- Favorite Band(s): The Killers, U2, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Radiohead, almost anyone else that came out of the 80s (except Tears for Fears. Boo.)
- Best Geeky Memory/Encounter: Not my best, but my most memorable: nearly knocking Anthony Head over on the street and then proceeding to scare him away by staring at him like a total loon. *facepalm*
- Favorite Guilty Pleasure: I may or may not enjoy wrestling on occasion. Wait, sorry, “sports entertainment.”
- Follow on Twitter | Email Mirjana
Born on Anglesey, I’m a big old geek. Currently live in Nottingham. I’m the Co-Host of The Next Level and Time Lore Addendum podcasts on the Geek Syndicate Network. My main geekery lies in Doctor Who and Star Wars, though I’m also a massive fan of Firefly and James Bond too. I like to dabble with my pencils or with Photoshop too.
- Favorite TV Show(s): Doctor Who, Firefly, Spooks, Survival Programmes and Cookery Shows. That’s how I roll…
- Favorite Movie(s): Comedies & action flicks - particularly Bond movies, Star Wars (even Attack of the Clones!), Dodgeball
- Favorite Author(s): Chris Ryan, Karen Traviss, RA Salvatore, Terry Pratchett, Bernard Cornwell
- Favorite Video Game(s): Gears of War, Mass Effect Series, Deus Ex, X-Wing, UFO: Enemy Unknown, Ocarina of Time
- Best Geeky Memory/Encounter: Probably meeting Sylvester McCoy when I was 12 – he bounced his spoons off my head and was complimentary about a painting I’d done of him. It’s actually not bad, either!
- Follow on Twitter
A 31 yr old film nerd with a BA in Journalism & Visual Media and an M.Phil in Film Theory & History. Have been working as a freelance film journalist for almost 10 years and love every moment of it so far. Career highlights include the Cannes Film Festival 2011 – sunstroke included – somehow ending up on the beer in Dublin with Kiefer Sutherland & chatting film with Tilda Swinton, Antonio Banderas, John Lasseter & many more…
- Favorite TV Show(s): Community, House, Dexter, How I Met Your Mother
- Favorite Movie(s): American Beauty, La Jeteé, Amelie, O Brother Where Art Thou?, Dogma, Aladdin
- Favorite Author(s): Neil Gaiman, JK Rowling
- Favorite Band(s): Amanda Palmer, Foo Fighters, The Beatles, Arcade Fire, Villagers, Elbow, OK Go
- Favorite Place in the World: New Orleans, Louisiana
- Follow on Twitter
I’m a dad, a husband and an unashamed geek. I love books, movies, games and comics, but when it comes to buying them I’m like a dog chasing cars. I work in a bank to pay the rent, but my real life is at home. I also run a podcast called Scrolls on the Geek Syndicate Network and blather on endlessly about books – sci-fi, fantasy and horror.
- Favorite TV Show(s): Farscape, DS9, The Middleman, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, The Prisoner, Battlestar Galactica, The Fades, Being Human, The Walking Dead, Firefly, Sapphire and Steel
- Favorite Movie(s): The Haunting, The Wicked Lady, The Cat and The Canary, Flight of the Phoenix, Ice Cold In Alex, Rio Bravo, For A Few Dollars More, Harryhousen, The Princess Bride, Lord Of The Rings, Conan The Barbarian, Spirited Away, Brotherhood Of The Wolf, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Terminator, Aliens, Back To The Future, Star Wars, X-men, Spiderman, Kickass, Amelie, Stand By Me, Glory, What’s Up Doc, Kiss, Kiss, Bang Bang, High Heels and Low Lifes
- Favorite Author(s): George RR Martin, David Gemmell, Joe Abercrombie, Terry Pratchett, JRR Tolkien, Scott Lynch, Stephen King, Stephen R Donaldson, Barry B Longyear, Ray Bradbury, Chris Wooding, Frank Herbert, Douglas Adams, David Wingrove, Philip Reeve, HP Lovecraft, Shirley Jackson, Clive Barker, Bram Stoker, MR James, James M Cain, Boris Akunin, Patrick O’Brien
- Favorite Comic(s)/Graphic Novel(s): Judge Anderson, books 1&2, BPRD, Hellboy, The Dark Tower series, Largo Winch, The Lone Wolf and Cub, Mouseguard, Sin City, Adventures of Tin-Tin
- Best Geeky Memory/Encounter: I got to walk around the Promenade, watch a scene being rehearsed and feel my legs go wobbly whilst shaking Jadzia Dax’s hand at the Paramount Studio, home to Star Trek: Deep Space 9.
- Follow on Twitter
As if being a married father-of-two wasn’t a commitment enough, I’ve decided to fill my leisure time on geeky pursuits like blogging, reviewing and generally being opinionated.
- Favorite TV Show(s): Fringe, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, The Wire
- Favorite Movie(s): Star Wars, The Princess Bride, anything by the Coen Brothers.
- Favorite Author(s): Iain Banks, Neil Gaiman, George MacDonald Fraser, George RR Martin, Kurt Vonnegut
- Best Geeky Memory/Encounter: Drunkenly swearing at Iain Banks at a convention once without realising who he was, then been too embarrassed to get the books i’d brought with me to the signing he did later that day. Not sure it’s “best” but its certainly “memorable!”
- Favorite Lego Set: 10030 “Imperial Star Destroyer”. and yes, I do own one.
- Follow on Twitter
Geek of all flavours…movies, comics, TV, games..etc
- Favorite TV Show(s): House, NCIS, Spooks, Dr Who, West Wing, Blackadder, Burn Notice, Fringe
- Favorite Comic(s)/Graphic Novel(s): Queen & Country, Captain Britain & MI-13, Knights of Pendragon, Witchblade
- Favorite Video Game(s): Diablo II, Lego Star Wars, KOTOR, Dawn of War II
- Best Geeky Memory/Encounter: Winning an AT-AT in a Radio Times competition when I was a kid and finding out decades later that my parents had also bought me one but taken it back. Trying to explain to my Mum that I’d've been “King of the School” if I’d had two AT-ATs!
- Favorite Comic Artist(s): Adam Warren, Frank Cho, Terry Dodson, Amanda Connor, Stjepan Sejic
- Follow on Twitter
I’m a gadgets, sports and gaming geek.
- Favorite TV Show(s): The Wire, X-Files, The Sopranos, Spooks
- Favorite Movie(s): Godfather 1&2, Goodfellas, Scarface, Old Boy, Apocalypse Now, Gladiator
- Favorite Author(s): Mario Puzza
- Favorite Comic/Graphic Novel(s): 300
- Favorite Video Game(s): Half Life 2, Uncharted series, Devil May Cry, Mass Effect series, Gears of War series
- Follow on Twitter
- Favorite TV Show(s): Doctor Who, Smallville, Big Bang Theory
- Favorite Movie(s):The Empire Strikes Back, Die Hard, Metropolis, Nolan’s Batman Trilogy, Inception, The Prestige, A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, Superman, X-Men: First Class, The Usual Suspects, Where the Truth Lies
- Favorite Author(s):Val McDermaid, Jean Baudrillard, Kurt Vonnegut, Raymond Chandler
- Favorite Comic(s)/Graphic Novel(s): Essential: The Amazing Spider-man volume 2, Batman: The Long Halloween, Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, Wally West as The Flash, Kill Your Boyfriend, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Allstar Superman, JMS’ Spider-man, Batman R.I.P., Infinite Crisis, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: The Court of Owls, Superman: Birthright
- Favorite Video Game(s): any WWE game
- Favorite Band(s):Los Campesinos, Nirvana, Lana Del Ray, Radiohead
- Best Geeky Memory/Encounter: carrying my sonic screwdriver around. Just in case!
- Best Geeky Discovery: Being indoctrinated into the awesome world of classic doctor who and getting a man crush on Patrick Troughton.
- Favorite Comic Writer(s): Grant Morrison, Stan Lee, Geoff Johns, Scott Snyder, JMS, Mark Waid.
- Favorite Comic Artist(s):Francis Manapul, Darwin Cooke, John Romita Snr,John Romita Jnr, Tim Sale
- Favorite Food: Pizza
- Favorite Quote: With great power comes great responsibility
- Favorite classic Doctor Who episode: ”The War Games” and “The Caves of Androzani”
- Follow on Twitter